[Bilbys] Bilbys Update 20 Oct

garry.stevens at centrelink.gov.au garry.stevens at centrelink.gov.au
Fri Oct 20 13:12:36 EST 2006

World Champion
===============

Julie Quinn and her partner Heather Logie kicked butt in the World
Rogaining Championships held last weekend and now hold the title of
Women's World Rogaining champions for 2006. They finished 12th team
overall and easily being the next women's team home. Dave Baldwins team
was 8th overall in what must have been a pretty tough field. Full results
can be found here http://www.fictional-characters.com/rogaine/results.htm

A huge congratulations to Julie from all of us.

Member News
=============
Congratulations to David and Kate Meere on the birth of their first child
Sarah Ann. Sarah was born on Monday 16th October at 11.58pm, 47cms,
3.2kgs.

Petrushka Mazur and Kyle Gallacher  are getting married on 11 November and
then are heading off to South-East Asia for 7 weeks. Congratulations.

Louise Makin got engaged 3 months ago to fiance Tony Bottrall and are due
to marry on the 17th of March next year!

Helper required for Triple Tri
========================

Dave Baldwin is still looking for an assistant for the Triple Tri that he
is competing in as a solo entrant. It involves driving from transition
area to transition area ensuring he has the equipment and munchies needed
to complete the next leg of the race. If you are up for a day of
adventure, please email Dave at david.baldwin at bilbys.org.

Swimmer available for Triple Tri
============================

Oneeka Rob says :- I'm a female swimmer who does not have a team for this
year's triple tri. (My regular women's team of 9 has ditched all younger
females from the team in pursuit of a more mature aged team).  I am a
reasonably paced swimmer who swims competitively and any swim leg of the
TT is OK. I would prefer not to swim all 3 legs, 1 or 2 legs is fine.

Pls contact Oneeka at Oneeka.Robb at dotars.gov.au or Phone: 6274 7166

Novice Evening Next Thursday
===========================
A reminder that this years novice program starts on Thursday Oct 26 at
Wests/Turner bowling Club at 7pm. We have had a large amount of interest
so it promises to be a big season. Details of the program can be found at
http://www.bilbys.org/novice2006.php

If anyone is keen to put their name down as people who might be able to
assist Gary Rolfe with cycling and/or running sessions then please drop
him a line at gary.rolfe at bilbys.org
Most coaches are booked in but you never know when we might need more
help.

Swimming
=========
The coach is not there to run after us all. Before you get into the pool,
please grab your flippers , paddles and a pool buoy from the bins so that
they are available when you need them. We have also had some flippers go
AWOL and since the flipper bin is locked at all times when not in use, the
only way that could have happened is if people borrow them and leave them
on the side of the pool. So please do not borrow other peoples flippers
for your set, move to the back of the lane and use your feet until you
have managed to purchase your own.

Watch for Cyclists Jerseys & Knicks
==============================

We all know and love the 'Watch for Cyclists' bumper sticker, but have you
seen the Watch for Cyclists Jersey?
http://www.watchforcyclists.com/catalogue.htm

If you order a jersey or knicks before 30/10/2006, you receive a Watch for
Cyclist biddon free (normally $15).

Have you heard about Greenfleet?
"Climate change and global warming are among today's most pressing
environmental issues, brought about by increased concentrations of
greenhouse gases in the atmosphere. Transport is Australia's fastest
growing source of greenhouse gas emissions. Greenfleet is a non-profit
organisation. Our program provides a simple way to reduce your car's
impact on the environment. For $40 (tax deductible), Greenfleet will plant
17 native trees on your behalf. These trees will help to create a forest,
and as they grow will absorb the greenhouse gases that your car produces
in one year (based on 4.3 tonnes of CO2 for the average car*). Science
shows that 17 mixed species trees will not only absorb a car's greenhouse
emissions, but will also help to tackle salinity, improve water quality
and provide essential habitat for native species."

http://www.greenfleet.com.au/

For Sale
========
Bike - Norco CRD2 Road Bike
Size - ML (medium-large), 18 months old, as new condition (only used
handful of times - if that).
Tiagra 9 speed Shimano
Bike pump, size 8 women's SPD shoes (cleats) also available.
$ 900  ono (purchased for $1399 new) . Contact Kirsty Rogers 0402 462 707.

RSPCA's Pet of the Week
======================

Can you give a home to a friendly pooch or perhaps a cute cat? Perhaps you
can temporarily offer dogs a home for as long as it takes to find them
loving, permanent homes?

Meet the very sweet and affectionate Mr Roger Ramjet - the RSPCA's Pet of
the Week.  He is a 5 month old Kelpie x who really deserves to find a
home. Roger had a tough start to life before coming to the RSPCA as his
mum and dad were only fed on Fridays in his previous home. Despite this
all the pups managed to survive and after some care at the RSPCA, Mum, Dad
and all the other littermates have found homes. Now we just need to find a
home for Roger.

He is a highly trainable young dog that would make an excellent exercise
companion. Perfect for fit and active Bilbys members! He is generally
quiet, gentle and unobtrusive for a young dog. So if you are looking for
an affectionate, quiet pal have a look at Roger Ramjet. In addition to
Roger there is another sweetie called Kewell still looking for a home.
He is the last of a litter who came in during World Cup Soccer time and
who ended up with names such as Aloisi, Kewell etc.

For more information please contact the RSPCA on 6287 8100 or visit the
Shelter at Kirkpatrick Street, Weston (off Cotter Road). You can also
contact ACT Rescue & Foster (ARF) - see http://www.fosterdogs.org/ to meet
other gorgeous animals looking for homes.

Miah Gibson

Upcoming events
================
OCTOBER
Sun 22 Brindabella Classic
Sun 22 Meningie halfIM http://www.valestriathlonclub.org.au/index2.htm
Thu 26 Novice Sign on evening http://www.bilbys.org/novice2006.php
Sun 29 Sri Chinmoy Googong Classic
http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/au/events/canberramultiseries/googong/
Sun 29 Fitz Challenge - 4 rides 48km to 210km
http://www.pedalpower.org.au/
Sun 29 CORC XC5 Kowen Club
Sun 29 AROC Sydney
Sun 29 MBO NSW champs
Sun 29 Nepean triathlon http://www.nepeantriathlon.com
Sun 29 Noosa triathlon http://www.noosatri.com

NOVEMBER
4-7 4 peaks runs Bright
Sat 4 ACT 6/12hr rogaine http://act.rogaine.asn.au
Sun 5 ACT MBO champs Kowen http://ozmtbo.com
Sun 5 Port Macquarie halfIM http://www.ironmanoz703.com/
11-12 North Walk 100s
Sat 11 Belconnen fun run
Sat 11 Nowra tri - Worlds selection race
Sun 12 Sri Chinmoy National Capital swim
http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/au/events/national_capital_swim/
Sun 12 Tour de Femme
Sat 18 TACT CPS#1
Sat 18 Two Peaks run http://www.mountainrunning.coolrunning.com.au
Sun 19 World Long Course Tri Champs Canberra
http://www.worldlongdistance2006.com/
Fri 24 Trystars #1
Sun 26 Sri Chinmoy triple triathlon
http://www.srichinmoyraces.org/au/events/triple_triathlon/
Sun 26 All-Women's triathlon
Sun 26 Newcastle tri - Worlds selection race

DECEMBER
1-10 Brindabella Challenge Cycling Festival
http://www.brindabellachallenge.com.au
Fri 1 AROC night
Sun 3 IMWA http://www.ironmanwa.com/
Fri 8 Trystars #2
Sun 10 TACT corp tri
Sun 10 CORC XC6 Majura
Sun 10 Shepparton halfIM http://www.sheppartontriclub.com.au/
Tue 12 Questacon relays
Sat 16 TACT CPS#2
Sat 16 AROC Canberra
Sun 17 Canberra halfIM http://www.canberrahalf.com
Sun 17 Tour de Mountain

Bilbys website: http://bilbys.org
TACT website: http://www.triathlonact.com.au
Cross Country Running Club: http://www.canberrarunner.com.au

IMPORTANT:  This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee and may contain information that is confidential, commercially valuable or subject to legal or parliamentary privilege.  If you are not the intended recipient you are notified that any review, re-transmission, disclosure, use or dissemination of this communication is strictly prohibited by several Commonwealth Acts of Parliament.  If you have received this communication in error please notify the sender immediately and delete all copies of this transmission together with any attachments.